Christo has over 30 years in the professional services field, the last 20 of which, he has been specialising in assisting clients develop and maintain sustainable improvements in safety performance. Specialising in the oil & gas and mining industries, these organisations include operators such as ExxonMobil, Woodside, Shell and QGC in the oil and gas industry and Xstrata, and Peabody in the mining industry and a number of their major contractors.
He was a Founding Partner of EDN, a company which built a high reputation for delivering results to clients across the globe. From 6 Founding Partners, this company grew to an annual turnover of $20m and over 90 employees and associates operating offices in Adelaide, Perth, Sydney, Houston, and Aberdeen. This attracted a major UK based multinational to acquire EDN in 2009.
Commencing his career with Ernst & Young in Australia, he later consulted to major organisations in aviation and steel manufacturing in Eastern Europe after the fall of the Soviet Bloc. In an alliance with the Australian Centre for Best Practice, Christo was involved in significant workplace change projects in the early 1990s in industries as varied as steel, mining, health care, local government and textiles.
Beyond his consulting work, Christo has also spoken at numerous conferences and has had aspects of his consulting work published, including:
- Speaker and member of the Australian Government delegation and facilitator of workshops on safety at the APEC Minister’s Responsible for Mining Summit held in Perth as part of the APEC year in Australia in 2007. This involved delegations of ministers, bureaucrats, industry from most of the 23 member economies of APEC;
- Safety Leadership in the International Mining Industry: A Case Study Analysis, 2010. A report prepared for the Department of Resources, Energy & Tourism on behalf the 15 members countries of the Asia Pacific Partnership on Clean Development & Climate;
- Delivering a No Incidents: No-one Gets Hurt Culture in Major Shutdowns at the Karratha LNG Plant, Perth 2009, 5th Annual Shutdowns and Outages Conference;
- speaker and facilitator at the APPEA Coal Seam Gas Safety Forum, Brisbane 2011;
- speaker and facilitator of discussion panel at the APPEA National Oil & Gas Safety Conference, Perth 2006
- Managing in High Activity Periods, Perth 2005, DrillSafe: Australia’s Drilling Industry Quarterly HSE Forum;
- Turning Theory Into Reality: Embracing Effective Safety Leadership Across Your Drilling Operations, Kuala Lumpur 2005, Drilling Safety Management in Oil & Gas Conference;
- Safety Leadership in Action, Sydney 2006, NSW Minerals Council OHS Conference
- Innovation: Understanding the Leadership Behaviours required in Delivering Innovation, Sydney 2006, NSW Minerals Council OHS Conference
- Best Practice in the Textiles Industry: Wax Converters Textiles, (2000) research paper of a case study conducted by the Employment Studies Centre of the University of Newcastle.